Tuesday, March 3, 2009

Work

"If the Great Commission is true, our plans are not too big; they are too small." -- Pat Morley

I took some people on a tour of Camp Daniel the other day, after we finished, they commented on the size of our vision being so big, and how it must be hard to carry something so big. The vision is for a campground, retreat, training and housing center that is a backbone for a ministry that sends out missionaries, builds churches and ministries in order to save people with disabilities and allow God use the gifts He has given them to do the same. We would like to have training materials, ministry tools, bible translations and the ability to get others started in creative ministries of their own. These things are all happening in one form or another and we intend to push ahead as God directs towards what He has set before us. What makes it all possible is that we do not carry this big vision, God does!
What has transpired at Camp Daniel and through the ministry at Camp Daniel is a miracle. As I tour people around our campus I repeat the same stories over and over probably hundreds of times each year adding what is new as it transpires.  But I as retell and relive those miracles, I often can still be brought to tears at the magnitude of what God has done and is doing.  I know that it has only been by God's grace that this has happened. He gave us a commission and our response has been simple, to work. There is no great theology, talent, or gift behind anything that has happened. God speaks and we work. Please do not get me wrong, I am not dumbing down what God has done, I just want to express the burning of my heart. I hear much of gifts and working with in them, and about not burning out and about getting rest and about doing one simple thing well and not being spread to thin. My response is that I hope to be in the midst of ministry outside of my giftings... so I may rely on Him,  I pray I burn out for Jesus... so He will reignite me, I look to get spread thin... so He can send others to help. 
One of my best friends, Pastor Tom St. Angelo, often told me to see a vision so big only God could carry it. That, I believe is the key. God has put us here to do His work, He guides us, directs us, gives us the tools and all we need. In return we get closer to Him and eventually get to be with Him.
LT

2 comments:

  1. Wow! Welcome to the blogisphere. I was pouring a cup of coffee and I thought I wanted to write an entry about your ministry. I came into my office and found a referral from your blog.

    You've made my work in writing this blog real easy. I'll simply refer everyone to you.

    I can't tell you how much I enjoyed my visit to Camp Daniel. To see how God has brought your vision to pass is a real inspiration.

    Let me know when you are in Florida again. We'd love to see you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The truth is you won't burn out if your in God's will for you life and relying on his strengh not your own. It's so obvious to me that you are right where God wants you. I know he's using your strengths and its Awesome you want him to work outside your giftings...isn't that applying the truth "in your weakness he is strong". Although sleep really isn't that bad Tony;) He wants us to rest too:) So take a nap already!

    ReplyDelete